If you would like to use the W5OLA club callsign on the air, please submit the following form. This information is required in order for us to fulfill our obligations to maintain accurate information related to use of the club callsign. Your form submission will be sent to club officials and kept on file for club records.
The club callsign does NOT have a license class. You must operate in accordance with FCC rules and regulations related to your own license class. Anyone using the W5OLA club callsign is expected to abide by the DX Code of Conduct and the Radio Amateur’s Code at all times.
Radio Amateur’s Code
The radio amateur is…
CONSIDERATE… He/She never knowingly operates in such a way as to lessen the pleasure of others.
LOYAL… He/She offers loyalty, encouragement and support to other amateurs, local clubs, the IARU Radio Society in his country, through which Amateur Radio in his/her country is represented nationally and internationally.
PROGRESSIVE… He/She keeps his/her station up to date. It is well-built and efficient. His/she operating practice is above reproach.
FRIENDLY… He operates slowly and patiently when requested; offers friendly advice and counsel to the beginner; kind assistance, cooperation and consideration for the interests of others. These are the marks of the amateur spirit.
BALANCED… Radio is a hobby, never interfering with duties owed to family, job, school or community.
PATRIOTIC… His station and skills are always ready for service to country and community.
DX Code of Conduct
The following DX Code of Conduct was developed by amateur radio operators and is promoted by the International Amateur Radio Union (IARU) as a global set of principles for on-air behavior when attempting to make DX (foreign country) contacts.
1) I will listen, and listen, and then listen again before calling.
2) I will only call, if I can copy the DX station properly.
3) I will not trust the DX cluster and will be sure of the DX station’s call sign before calling.
4) I will not interfere with the DX station nor anyone calling and will never tune up on the DX frequency or in the QSX slot.
5) I will wait for the DX station to end a contact before I call.
6) I will always send my full call sign.
7) I will call and then listen for a reasonable interval. I will not call continuously.
8) I will not transmit when the DX operator calls another call sign, not mine.
9) I will not transmit when the DX operator queries a call sign not like mine.
10) I will not transmit when the DX station requests geographic areas other than mine.
11) When the DX operator calls me, I will not repeat my call sign unless I think he has copied it incorrectly.
12) I will be thankful if and when I do make a contact.
13) I will respect my fellow hams and conduct myself so as to earn their respect.